Oklahoma City Federal Criminal Lawyer
The federal criminal justice system is unique and complex, with rules and procedures that differ from state courts. Crimes prosecuted in the federal criminal justice system are punished via the United States Federal Sentencing Guidelines, which typically suggest long prison sentences, heavy fines, and major restitution. To make matters worse, federal criminal cases are investigated and prosecuted by some of the country’s most aggressive and experienced federal law enforcement agencies. If you have been charged with a federal crime or believe you are the target of a federal investigation, you must seek legal representation right away from an experienced Oklahoma federal criminal defense attorney.
Anytime a crime involves interstate commerce or transportation, it will fall under federal jurisdiction. Federal crimes are not prosecuted in the same courts as state crimes, so you will need to seek counsel from an attorney admitted to practice in federal court. We have represented scores of clients in federal court. Taylor McLawhorn is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma and United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma.
Most Common Federal Crimes
Numerous federal agencies like the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) investigate and charge individuals with federal crimes. Some of the most common federal crimes include:
- Weapons offenses – The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) is the agency most commonly tasked with investigating and charging individuals with weapons offenses, although other agencies can also bring these charges. Typically, weapons offenses include the illegal possession, distribution, or sale of weapons, such as guns.
- Drug crimes – Drug crimes often fall under federal jurisdiction when extremely large quantities are involved or when many individuals are engaged in the act of distributing, or possessing with the intent to distribute, quantities of illegal narcotics. Federal drug crimes are extremely serious and carry significant penalties.
- Sex crimes – Certain sex crimes, such as child pornography and sex trafficking, also fall under federal jurisdiction. Any type of crime that involves an online transaction across state lines can also fall under federal jurisdiction.
- Bank robbery – Because banks are federal institutions, any crimes against them automatically fall under federal jurisdiction.
- “White Collar” Crimes – Money does not have to cross state lines in order for you to be charged with federal money laundering, counterfeiting, bank fraud, or other similar offenses, commonly referred to as “White Collar” crimes. The U.S. uses a national currency, so any crime using currency is a federal offense.
- RICO – The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) provides significant penalties for those convicted of racketeering, which are usually leaders in criminal organizations. Notably, RICO allows individuals to face charges for actions they ordered others to execute.
- Conspiracy – Conspiracy charges are very wide ranging, but generally refer to individuals planning to commit a federal crime and taking the necessary steps to do so.
Federal Crimes In Oklahoma
While many federal crimes occur when crossing state lines, some places within the state of Oklahoma fall under federal jurisdiction. Oklahoma is home to many Native American reservations and national parks. Any crimes committed on these federal lands are considered federal crimes. While the exact location at which a crime is committed might not seem like a game-changing detail, in Oklahoma, it can and will have profound implications for criminal penalties.
Penalties for Federal Crimes
Penalties for federal crimes are driven by the United States Federal Sentencing Guidelines. While the recently enacted First Step Act has had some positive impact on the Guidelines, they are still harsh and complex. Many of the crimes charged in Federal Court carry lengthy prison sentences, along with a condition of supervised release following the imposed sentence. Mr. McLawhorn can help you understand how the guidelines impact your specific case, as well as advise you of the options available.
Thorough Investigations of Federal Crimes
The federal government and its agencies (FBI, NSA, DEA, SEC, etc.) have incredible resources and manpower, all of which allow them to invest an incredible amount of time and money investigating and prosecuting federal crimes. Anyone charged with a federal crime needs an attorney with experience who can work quickly to investigate your case and gather the necessary information to aid in either preparing for trial or achieving the most favorable outcome under the circumstances.
Successful Resolution of Federal Crimes
Criminal attorney Taylor McLawhorn has extensive experience with clients charged of federal crimes. Some of our past successes include representing a client charged in Federal Court with Conspiracy to Traffic Illegal Narcotics (Methamphetamine). The client had over 15 prior felony convictions, mostly for drug related offenses. The client was heavily involved in a criminal enterprise, and the Government’s evidence appeared overwhelming. Mr. McLawhorn, after extensive research and review of the evidence, was able to have the client’s sentencing guideline range reduced from potentially 15 years in the Federal Bureau of Prisons to 6-9 years. At the client’s final sentencing, the Court sentenced the client to only 5 years, with credit for time served, thus sentencing the client below the advisory guideline range.
In another case involving the possession and distribution of large quantities of methamphetamine, Mr. McLawhorn was able to obtain reduction from a 24-30 year sentence to 6 year with credit for time served awaiting sentencing.
Contact An Oklahoma City Federal Crimes Defense Lawyer Today
It is important that you understand the gravity of a federal criminal arrest. The individuals responsible for investigating and prosecuting these cases have years of experience and are committed to getting convictions. You must have equally experienced and dedicated representation on your side. Crimes of this nature carry extremely heavy sentences and penalties, all of which Taylor McLawhorn strives to keep you from facing. Contact us today about your case.